Would you like to support local journalism?

(with some quirky flair)

Regular News FEEDINGS via social + online. by locals for locals

HomeNewsDiver dies in water near Shelly Beach

Diver dies in water near Shelly Beach

A scuba diver has died after he was pulled onto the rocks near Dead Mans at Manly, near Shelly Beach, after suffering a possible cardiac arrest.

Just before 2pm this afternoon (Thursday, 5 August) two people were observed in distress in the water near Shelly Beach, Manly.

One of the pair (who we now know was scuba diving with a rebreather),  appeared to be unconscious and the other, (who is a local free driver and known to Manly Observer), was waving for help. Nearby surfers helped to pull the unconscious male scuba diver onto a nearby rock platform at the base of the cliff.

Multiple calls were made to Triple Zero (000) and emergency services including NSW Police, NSW Ambulance paramedics, Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Manly and Narrabeen Stations and Manly lifeguards mobilised to the scene. They used the Shelly Beach car park as a staging post for access to the man on the rock platform below.

The Toll Ambulance Rescue Helicopter was dispatched to the incident, landing on the oval at St Patrick’s Estate. A specialist doctor and paramedic were conveyed to the incident scene to assist with treatment.

Ambulance, police and fire trucks take over the Shelly Beach car park this afternoon as an attempt is made to save a man who had a medical episode while diving. Photos: Manly Observer


Four NSW Ambulance crews, including intensive care and special operations paramedics and an Inspector treated the man, who was unresponsive in the water and had apparently suffered a cardiac arrest.

Fire and Rescue NSW rescue crews and NSW Police began preparations to carry the man from the base of the cliff in the event that a planned helicopter winch out was unable to be safely performed.

Paramedics were unable to detect a pulse and continued events with CPR in an urgent attempt to revive and stabilise the man at the scene before he could be evacuated. Despite persistent efforts, unfortunately they were unsuccessful and the man was pronounced dead at the scene just before 3.00pm.

Emergency services remained at the scene, with Fire and Rescue NSW firefighters assisting to recover the man’s body from the rock platform.

NSW Police officers from Marine Area Command will conduct an investigation and prepare a report for the information of the Coroner

NB: Manly Observer attended the scene while fellow news site Northern Beaches Advocate chased updates from relevant authorities. Most of the formal details in this article have been provided from the Advocate, while Manly Observer provided images and on scene reports to them.



Support quality local news

Manly Observer is an experiment in providing non-sensationalist hyperlocal news on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. We cover the big news across the LGA, but with a hyper focus on the Manly electorate encompassing Balgowlah, Seaforth, Freshwater, Brookvale and Curl Curl up to Dee Why. It is run by those living in the community for the benefit of an informed community. We care about an informed and connected community. That’s it. Simple. Thank you for your support in keeping quality local news alive!

Kim Smee, Editor

Become a supporter