Two plumbers were injured by chemicals used to unblock a drain on William Street Brookvale yesterday.
Manly Fire Station Officer Peta Miller said a blocked pipe in a commercial place (a bakery) in Brookvale required some plumbers to plunge the floor drain, however the drain was filled with cleaning chemicals (oven cleaner) and it reacted with the acid being used to unblock the drain. They are in a stable condition but sustained injuries from the reaction between the different chemicals.
“We had to neutralize the spill with our own chemicals to make it safe and mop it up. However the drain is still blocked and needs further attention from a plumber,” she told us this morning.
Firies said it was an important reminder not to mix or handle chemicals without proper expertise.
Manly Observer is a hyperlocal news service covering the Northern Beaches in Sydney with a hyperfocus from Manly to Dee Why.
Our number one aim is to keep the fourth estate alive and lower Northern Beaches residents informed and connected. We will endeavour to be as direct and clear as we can, with a fair and non-sensationalist approach to reporting. When not covering straight news we speak with a conversational and often first-person tone. It is run by locals for locals and we depend on your news tips and support to keep going.