Residents rejoice as Council defers Middle Harbour Flood Study after backlash

The Council chamber erupted in applause from the public gallery as councillors unanimously voted to defer adoption of the Middle Harbour Flood Study on Tuesday night, 18 August. Councillors voted to defer adopting the updated map of flood areas, agreeing to an extended consultation period and up to 100 resident site visits, after a wave of residents’ complaints about the study’s consultation and notification process. Many residents fear the flood prone classification on official mapping will drive up home insurance costs, and needlessly so. The Forest Flood Alliance (FFA), representing residents across Belrose, Frenchs Forest, Killarney Heights, Forestville and Davidson, urged councillors not to adopt the study along with a 537-signature petition. “We thank Councillors for deferring adoption of the Middle Harbour Flood Study, and thank the residents...

HAPPENING TODAY

100.6k Followers
Follow

News

Land and Environment Court approves six-storey building in Manly, South Curl Curl SLSC get upgrades and a $18m development proposed for Fairlight in this...

In this week's DA Round Up, three development applications have been determined by the Land and Environment Court and Northern Beaches Local Planning Panel. In...

More than 30 years after moving in, Barbara Nalder still calls Forestville home

Over three decades ago, Barbara Nalder was preparing to donate a kidney to her son, leaving her wondering how she would manage a large...

Proposed Brookvale housing target more than doubles as high rise mock ups flood our feeds

Plans for 36 and 39-storey buildings on the land surrounding Warringah Mall have become a hot topic in recent weeks, but just to the...

Manly fans invited to contribute to 80-year anniversary book

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles debuted in the New South Wales Rugby Football League on April 12, 1947, as did the other debutant club, Parramatta...

Duplex bonanza but no cooking on gas; Council has new planning laws on display

Northern Beaches Council has put a major overhaul of local planning rules on public exhibition. The purpose is to merge four separate sets of...

Winners of Northern Beaches Environmental Art & Design Prize announced

Northern Beaches Council has revealed the winner of the 2026 Environmental Art & Design Prize (EADP). Northern Beaches Mayor Sue Heins said, with the Environmental...

Billy the Goat’s extraordinary road from ruin to king of the hill

It's not unusual to see a Northern Beaches resident wandering the suburbs with their pet, but a new kid on the block has recently...

Freshie Village development approved, Thai and I at Dee Why to be replaced with five-storey shop-top housing, $100million Narrabeen State Significant Development gets even...

The Land and Environment Court has approved an amended version of the Freshwater Village shop-top development, with Council coming to an agreement with the...

Rob Carlton brings a virgin to a knife fight at Belrose

Award-winning actor Rob Carlton says he has a long history of taking on the roles of sketchy Australians. So when the international mega-series The White...

Community rallies for stricken Rats star

With five minutes to play in Warringah Rats' round 16 fixture against Sydney University at Pittwater Rugby Park on Saturday, Rats hooker Wes Thomas...

Teen enters not guilty plea over Dee Why park assault that left man in coma

A Dee Why teenager has pleaded not guilty to the serious assault of a local man at James Meehan Reserve earlier this year. Joseph Woodward,...

Police crack down on shoplifting across Northern Beaches including a man caught with a meat cleaver and box cutter at Warringah Mall in this...

Police have carried out a major two-day operation targeting retail theft across Northern Beaches shopping centres, arresting or detaining 21 people, including a man...

Doom and Dunes: Why are we wrecking our first line of defence?

Local bushland clean-up groups are growing increasingly concerned about the state of Northern Beaches dunes, as litter and general destruction threatens the stability of...

Eight housing projects, with over 1,200 planned dwellings, given State Significant status across the Northern Beaches LGA

Before we jump into the DA Round Up, the Housing Delivery Authority (HDA) recently recommended eight significant housing projects across the Northern Beaches LGA...

Stay Connected

81,000FansLike
134,000FollowersFollow

Beyond the news

Boy & Bear: Still Good Mates, Still Chasing the Song, Ahead of Night at the Barracks

Night of the Barracks kicks off next month. In preparation we interviewed the Boy & Bear frontman, Dave Hosking, and guitarist and vocalist, Killian...

More than 30 years after moving in, Barbara Nalder still calls Forestville home

Over three decades ago, Barbara Nalder was preparing to donate a kidney to her son, leaving her wondering how she would manage a large...

Manly fans invited to contribute to 80-year anniversary book

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles debuted in the New South Wales Rugby Football League on April 12, 1947, as did the other debutant club, Parramatta...

Winners of Northern Beaches Environmental Art & Design Prize announced

Northern Beaches Council has revealed the winner of the 2026 Environmental Art & Design Prize (EADP). Northern Beaches Mayor Sue Heins said, with the Environmental...

Northern Beaches Foodies

How Manly marked the making of Miguel

Miguel Maestre on ocean swimming, his role as King of the Good Food and Wine Show, and the Manly restaurant where it all began. Before...

Beachfront staple The Pantry Manly to move, new leaseholders for beachfront site

The Pantry Manly beachfront restaurant is set to relocate from its home on Manly Beach as the site lease changes ownership. Meanwhile the beachfront...
Advertisementspot_img

Most Popular

Subscribe to our FREE weekly news summary here.