Council has issued a statement regarding the cancellation of several Christmas and New Year celebrations across the Northern Beaches.
- Christmas Choral Concert, Manly
- Christmas by the Beach, Dee Why
- Carols by the Lake, Narrabeen (organised by Link Church) reimagined interactive online event, Saturday, 19 December
- Mona Vale Carols (organised by Rotary Club Upper Northern Beaches)
- Frenchs Forest Carols by Candlelight (organised by Frenchs Forest Lions Club)
- Avalon Carols (organised by Avalon SLSC)
- Manly, (in conjunction with Manly Wharf Hotel)
- Dee Why
- Bayview (in conjunction with The Newport)
Statement from Northern Beaches Counci:
Due to the risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and acting on lead NSW Health advice on outdoor gatherings, Northern Beaches Council has made the tough decision to cancel this year’s Christmas Carol events along with New Year’s Eve fireworks to protect the health and wellbeing of our community and visitors.
Council will instead put the funds towards smaller initiatives in the town centres and outdoor spaces such as public and street art, localised performers and carollers, lighting displays and Christmas decorations.
Mayor Michael Regan said cancelling the popular events, which attract tens of thousands of people, was a very difficult decision but was simply the right thing to do.
“The community’s health and safety is paramount and we could not guarantee large crowds could gather safely with the continued threat of possible COVID-19 infections,” Cr Regan said.