Updated Sunday, 9 October 9:30am: The severe weather warning has just been cancelled. About 40mm of rain was recorded across the lower Northern Beaches over the last 24 hours, with minimal damage recorded locally. It was still a very busy period for local SES units tending to leaking roofs and fallen trees.
Previously 6 October: Local SES units across the Northern Beaches have warned residents to be prepared for the expected onslaught of heavy rain over the next few days that could cause widespread flooding.
The Bureau of Meteorology today warned residents across the state of potential flooding of already swollen rivers with 125mm of rain predicted between now and Sunday as Sydney heads for its wettest year on record. As at 10pm Thursday 6 October a ‘Flood Watch’ was in place for Northern Sydney, with coastal catchments most likely to be hit from Saturday.
Max Moon, Acting Commander, Manly Unit SES, told Manly Observer that local units were working with Northern Beaches Council and Manly Hydraulics Lab to monitor the weather, Manly Dam and the lagoons in the Northern Beaches as the rain continues to fall.
“Manly SES volunteers are prepared and ready to respond if people find themselves in need of emergency flood or storm assistance. People can call us on 132 500 for SES assistance or 000 if it’s life threatening,” Mr Moon said.
“We encourage everyone to follow us on social media for local updates and to prepare their homes and businesses by doing simple things like cleaning out gutters, drains and downpipes. With thunderstorms anticipated, it’s best not to park your car under trees.”
“If there is flash flooding, never drive through flood water.”
Mr Moon advised residents who had recently been affected by flooding to get sandbags ready. Sandbags are available from the front of NSW SES Manly Unit at 1c Quirk Rd Balgowlah or if you have your won bags sand is available at Denzil Joyce Oval car park, Abbott Rd North Curl Curl.
A large number of residents already came to collect free sandbags from the SES Headquarters today, with two full pallets gone by 2.30pm.
Northern Beaches Council said it is closely monitoring conditions and have crews ready to respond and support SES if required across the weekend.
“We have completed inspections of critical assets across the area including storm water infrastructure. All lagoon entrances are open or we have crews ready to open them as the need arises,” a Council spokesperson said.
Council has an Emergency Preparedness page for residents to learn more about the risks facing their property and what to do if an emergency occurs.
The Bureau of Meteorology continues to monitor the situation closely and update forecasts and warnings regularly. If required, Manly Observer will provide live updates via its social media channels over the weekend.
Communities should follow the advice of emergency services and stay up to date with the latest forecasts and warnings on the Bureau’s website and through the BOM Weather app by enabling notifications.
It’s generally safe to assume Wakehurst Parkway is closed…