Charlie Heaton-Armstrong from North Narrabeen has laid claim as the best junior kayaker in Australia after a haul of gold at the Paddle Australia Canoe Sprint Championships in Adelaide that would’ve impressed Scrooge McDuck.
Competing in the U/16 age group, Heaton-Armstrong stood on the podium at the West Lakes course and was draped with medals in:
- K1 200m – Gold
- K1 500m – Gold
- K2 200m – Gold (with Luke Chaffer, 16, from Warriewood)
- K2 500m – Gold (with Chaffer)
- K4 200m – Gold (in the NSW boat with Chaffer, Michael Dunbar and Alexandar Raikuna)
- K4 500m – Gold (with above)
- K1 1000m – Silver
- K2 1000m – Silver (with Chaffer)
Heaton-Armstrong was later selected in the Australian team which will compete in Komatsu, Japan, at the Asia Pacific Sprint Cup in September.