A makeshift party van cruising Manly on Thursday has been singled out by NSW Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys at today’s press conference, revealing one person had been issued with an infringement notice for a repeated stunt last night.
The pair was originally filmed around the Manly area, chiefly at the beachfront, playing tunes to people exercising along South Steyne. It is understood one man returned later in the evening.
“Last night we saw a young man with a van, some music equipment, pull up near the CBD of Manly down near South Steyne and host what we would term a pop-up party,” Deputy Commissioner Worboy said.
“When spoken to, the young man tried to convince Police that it was some sort of marketing strategy or exercise strategy when clearly – clearly – it wasn’t. The people who contacted police described it as a party in the street,” he said.
“The man as issued with an infringement notice despite the excuse that he used and was asked not to continue with that behaviour over the weekend.”
One man involved in the event filmed above, Andrew Riis stated on social media it was part of his job and therefore covid compliant and that he was on a quest to spread “joy + connection during lockdown.” It is not known whether he was the individual issued with a fine.
The Deputy Commissioner said police will be focusing on compliance at beach and parkland areas over coming days.