fbpx

(with some quirky flair)

Regular News FEEDINGS via social + online. by locals for locals

HomeLifestyleLes Sculptures Refusées opens; winner announced

Les Sculptures Refusées opens; winner announced

It was a divine balmy evening at Q station on Thursday, 18 November,  as art aficionados and people who love a good view and free snacks joined in to celebrate the official launch of Les Sculptures Refusée.

Now in its second year at Q Station Manly, the exhibition features sculptural works rejected from Bondi’s Sculpture by the Sea exhibition. 

Pieces are sprawled throughout the Q Station site at North Head. The outdoor fringe sculpture exhibition that has attracted a cult-like following of its own.

The exhibition was opened by renowned journalist Jennifer Byrne who gave a nod to the exhibition’s 11 female artists. While a self-confessed art novice, Ms Byrne said she loved that this exhibition made room to be different, and found beauty and strength in rejection. 

The winner of the exhibition was also announced with Anna Dudek taking out the prize with her glass house installation ‘After Chianti’.

After Chianti by Anna Dudek

Anna with her winning sculpture. Photo: Ella Dreyfus

Les Sculptures Refusées will be one of the few outdoor sculpture exhibitions opening in NSW this year and brings with it experienced, well-respected artists together with emerging artists to support the realization of high-quality sculptural work.

From now through to 27 January 2022, the public will be able to walk the historic Q Station site and view up to 24 large-scale contemporary artworks by some of Australia’s best sculptors, doubling the number of works displayed in 2020. The sculptures will be displayed across the vast grounds of Q Station, with many highlighted over the rolling hills around the historic Glasshouse and with Sydney Harbour and CBD in the background.

The Artists for 2021 include the award-winning Akira Kamada and Orest Keywan, as well as Rosanna Goslett-King, Anna Dudek and Sarah FitzGerald. See the full list on the Les Sculptures Refusées website.

This year’s judges include Art Critic John McDonald, Art Historian Dr Michael Hill and Manager of Arts and Culture for the Northern Beaches Council, Josephine Bennett. There will be two prizes, First Prize and the People’s Choice award.The latter will be determined at the close of the exhibition.

During the course of the exhibition, Q Station will be keeping guests well fed and hydrated, with food and beverage offerings from its multiple onsite cafes, bar and restaurant venues including G&Tea House.

Sarah Fitzgerald

Suzanne Stanton, Director of Q Station, said there was a real buzz on the site after a long period of lockdown.

Co-Founders, Tania McMurtry and Simon Hodgson, said it had been another challenging year for the arts. “We want to give a big shout out to all the artists involved in this year’s Les Sculptures Refusées. All of them have shown constant support and belief in our show and worked immensely hard to produce an outstanding exhibition of sculpture – characterised by its distinctive flavour, diversity and unique vision. We’re hopeful that everyone comes out in support of these amazing artists and visits Q Station this spring.”

The exhibition is open to the public and entry is free. Check the Les Sculptures Refusées website regularly for up-to-date information.

Last year’s inaugural exhibition received extensive attention, with over 7,000 visitors.

 
Details
Les Sculptures Refusées
Location: Q Station Manly, 1 North Head Scenic Drive, Manly (within Sydney Harbour National Park)
Date: October 20th – January 27th, 2021
Entry: Free
Parking: Free
 
For further information on the exhibition, head to www.lessculpturesrefusees.com and www.qstation.com.au

 

News